Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We're having a BOY!

No, I'm not pregers! But, just as exciting - we're adopting a little boy from Ghana, Africa. What a journey it has been - and we have just begun. I'm excited to invite you all to be a part of our journey. I know we could use your prayers and support as this is a very lengthy process over which I really can't control, and I like to control things - did you know that?

Well - I thought I'd answer the obvious questions up front to save you the wondering... (No, we're neither Madonna or Angelina Jolie - so DON'T ASK!)

About 4 months ago, we were at church and during the response time I felt God whisper, "bring up adoption to Jesse," and "get ready." "Ready for what?" I thought. But, after church I asked Jes if he had ever thought about adopting and he replied, "not really, why?" And much to his and my surprise, I told him I thought God was asking us to - but I didn't even know what that meant. He said he would pray about it daily to see if God had anything to reveal to him - that's why I LOVE my husband, he so quickly goes to God about the unexpected stuff instead of a knee jerk reaction of "You're Crazy, Bran."

About 2 weeks after the initial conversation, when Jes and I were doing a devotional, God gave me a vision (no - this NEVER happens to me). The vision was of a little boy running towards me and knocking me down with his powerful hug and us just laughing and laughing. At that moment - it became a necessity to find this boy, our son, that God had shown me. I looked over at Jes with tears in my eyes and said, honey - we HAVE to find our son - he's out there and waiting for us to bring him home. Later on, Jes told me that during his quiet time devotion, he had asked God to reveal to him the meaning of adoption and of course God did. He showed Jes that even though adoption is not the norm these days, we are all adopted children of God and we're called to take care of the orphans of this world. The fears that might come along with adopting a child were not legitimate enough to even consider, because if God is for us, then who can be against us? - so instantly Jesse knew then too that we were meant to bring in a child and make him ours. SO THERE YOU HAVE IT!

WHY GHANA? Well, that's another story for a different day. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Laura Jane said...

Hey Brandi- this is Laura (Kemp) Aaron. I saw you post your new blog on facebook and I want to say that it is such an amazing this you and your husband are doing with yours and God's love. Congratulations on starting the adoption process and I hope everything goes well for you!

PS- Adalee is SO beautiful.

rachael said...

What an awesome testimony and "birth" story of the beginnings of your son coming into your family. Can't wait to hear more as the story unfolds! God bless you guys!

Allen Mapes said...

Finally, a boy! Sticks, dirt, race cars, I am not sure I remember how to do all that stuff.

I can still ride a bicycle, so I guess there is hope.

Taking nothing away from my three daughters, and my one granddaughter, I think I am ready to have a boy in the family.

Rats, that means that I am going to have to start working out so that I have half a chance to keep up with him.

Love, Pops

Holly Williams Byers said...

Brandi, I am so proud of you! What an exciting example of the surprises God places in our lives!
My prayers are with you and your family as you begin this amazing journey.

Holly Williams Byers