Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Yes, it's been awhile!

Oh it's been a hell of a season over here, hence the absence of me.  Well, let me keep it short (ha!) - I'm so incredibly rejuvenated and I'm about to explode, there's so much I want to tell you.  But really, God is so gracious to me and for some reason, lets me in.  Why?  I have no idea.  But, I am excited to tell you that I'm inspired.  Inspired to invite you into my Fast for Lent, but really it's not a fast at all - it's an overindulgence - I guess?  Is that the opposite of fasting?  Well, let's be honest - I suck at fasting, or giving up anything and when I try it's all vanity related.  "I'm fasting carbs, sweets, wine, and more wine for Jesus." (haha - or so I can fit into a bikini which I haven't even become close to doing for the last 5 years???) So, this year, God has invited me to spend more time with Him and really pouring His love and His STORY into my family these next 40 days.  Here's a little glimpse of how He called me to this unique fast this season.

Sammy, is my almost 5 year old, going to 10!  (He's from Ghana and we really don't know his age - we, along with our agency made the best educated guess we could - but I think we're a little off.  That, or God gave me a really really intelligent and smart little booger.  Sometimes too smart for his own good.)  Anywhoo... here are some questions my little boy has been pondering and asking over the last few days:
     "Mom, did Jesus get hurt while he was on the cross?...Does it hurt to die?... I don't exactly get why it was fair for him to die when he did nothing wrong.  So, it was a nail like this (as he holds up a fork from the silverware drawer) that someone pounded into Jesus' wrists that starts on top and then goes all the way through?  Who could do that to someone? Why didn't His Dad stop it?  Isn't His dad, God?  My daddy would never let something like that happen." And you wonder why I don't think he's 4 1/2 years old. 

We did a Jesse Tree project for Advent where we read a certain Bible Story every day followed by some coloring/craft of some sort leading up to Christmas.  Oh yes, I didn't do them some of the days while others we doubled up - so eventually they all got hung and the kids literally BEGGED me to do them everyday.  I loved this idea so much that I've been on the hunt for a Lent version - I cannot, for the life of me find one.  So - I guess I'll invent my own to share with you. :)  I'm partnering it up with some Bible verses our church is reflecting on every day and I'm really excited to see how God pours into my kids, myself, and my husband these next 40 days and I hope that you'll comeback tomorrow and check out what I've put together.  In the meantime, check out I WAS A STRANGER for verses that we'll be reflecting on.

I'm hoping you too will join me in a little Jesus indulgence too this season.  My hope is that my daily reflections that I post here will be encouragement for you, if I'm honest - that they'd really be encouraging to me!!  I find Jesus meets me when I write, maybe because it's one of the only times I'm not distracted by the 3 beauties he gave me.  Crazy huh, when you slow down, you hear the voice of God.  It's not that He is always quiet, it's that He's often drowned out by chaos, poopy diapers, arguing kids, even laughter and silliness.

x, b

No comments: